Monday, October 5, 2009

Ladies and gentlemen, its official, I feel about as old as George Bush must feel. And I'm not even talking about W, I'm talking about granddaddy Bush. Mr H.W. Bush himself, and that's old. Its that kind of old you associate forgetfulness, nonsensical and delusional with...either that or Bush junior. "Why oh why do you so old?" I hear you ask. Well it all stems back to damn procrastination getting one back on me. I was putting off study as usual (which, might I add, I desperately need to be doing) and what happens to appear on the ol' tube but a flashback to the top songs of a decade ago. That's right, its so long ago we aren't even measuring it in years anymore, it has its own measurement!

"What were the top songs of 1999" I hear you ask. Well first off, congrats for doing the math. That's more effort than 76% (trust me, its scientifically proven) people out there used. Well since you asked so kindly here it is:

10. Livin' La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin (thank God we're over him)
9. Nobody's Supposed To Be Here - Deborah Cox (please, we're more mature than that Jake)
8. Every Morning - Sugar Ray (the band not the boxer, silly)
7. Genie in a Bottle - the not so innocent Miss Aguilera
6. Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer (I know what you're thinking...worst name so far)
5. ...Baby One More Time - innocent lil' Miss Spears
4. Heartbreak Hotel - Whitney Houston
3. Angel of Mine - Monica (wth? Who is this)
2. No Scrubs - TLC

drum roll please...

  1. Believe - Cher

Some of those songs I have no recollection of whatsoever, i.e. Miss Cox and Monica, explain yourselves. My current theory is that they were so bad I blocked them out of my memory. The rest of the list is littered with songs such as "I Want It That Way", "Smooth" (by Santana and Rob Thomas, fool), Bailamos (Enrique Iglesias, don't pretend you don't remember if you're female), "Save Tonight" and a few more Backstreet Boys. But it hasn't been that long since we were jamming out to pre-crazy Spears or "Genie in a Bottle". And by jamming, I mean either playing out in the playground at school. I was only 7 or 8 when those songs came out! It's already been 10 years but it seems like it was just last year that those songs were being played to death. And I mean absolutely thrashed and played more times than Bush made a undecipherable comment.

It was the year the world was scrambling to fix the Y2K bug that was to end the world (thank you computer people), the last year of the 20th century, John McCain was still in his 60s and you could stroll onto any international flight with little question. The world has changed dramatically in the last 10 years but I remember it as though it were only a year or so ago. I remember being excited for the new century even though it changed nothing personally, I remember playing Playstation with my friends. It truly was a simpler time, for me anyway.

I hope this doesn't count as another nostalgic post, if it does, suck it up...

Until next time,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment