Monday, November 2, 2009

The Early Bird

Like a lot of you out there, I'm at that time in my life where getting up is more of an option than a choice. It's a luxury that we all envy when we don't have it, and abuse when we do have it. But, amidst the great relaxer that is sleep, there lies a curse. You know what I'm talking about. It's just gone past noon and your eyes slowly begin to open, taking in the world that's been awake for the past few hours. You groggily contemplate getting up or lying in bed, hopelessly trying to fall back asleep to no avail. After a few minutes of the latter, you decide that its finally time for the world to see your hungover face again. You take a shower, but feel lifeless and unenergized for the remainder of the day.

Therein lies the curse that is the sleep-in. It seems to me that the more you oversleep, the more tired you feel throughout the day. Catch 22, sucks doesn't it? Well suck it up! Not everyone can stay out partying till 3 am, on a Tuesday might I add, only calling it quits because you don't want to miss that all important human psychology class the next day.

Today, unlike all of you out there, I got up at the break of dawn. But sadly it was not by choice. It wasn't even one of those "Ugh, I have to go to [insert lame class here]". No, ladies and gentlemen, it was my alarm clock playing a cruel and unusual punishment on me, in retaliation for all those years of me slamming my hand down on that snooze button I suspect. I set my alarm clock for a reasonable 6.30 (yes am, and don't ask why) and all was well when I got up at 6.30 the next day to take a shower. At least, that's what I thought. Little did I know that it was merely 5.30! My clock had played an elaborate prank on me!

Needless to say I was not happy, and could not fall back to back to sleep because i had already taken a shower. Surprisingly, I was feeling energetic and upbeat, especially since I had only fallen asleep a meager 5 hours beforehand. And we all know that students need at least 12 to survive. While I'm not suggesting you all get up at 5.30, I do think that you should all consider waking up just a little bit earlier every once and a while. Who knows...maybe, like me, you will find yourself with more energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment