Wednesday, January 13, 2010

And the Genre is...

As the New Year inches closer and closer slowly becomes more distant a memory with each passing day, I become slightly more guilty about neglecting my promised year-end lists. I've decided to make up for it by knocking off perhaps the most wide berthed list: The Genre of the Decade.

And unlike some of my other lists out there, this has no specific order due to the subjectiveness of music.

First off the list, it's one of my more favorite genres: Indie. It's a genre most commonly associated with snobby hipsters, who refuse to have anything to do with anything which is known by more than 50 people. I am the first to admit that there are those indie loving hipsters who are so committed to anything indie that they will snob anything that is mainstream. To them I say, go live in your skinny, strange colored jeans, because that's not what I'm celebrating.

Indie has brought us artists such as Vampire Weekend, White Lies, Wilco, Bon Iver etc. That's why indie makes it into the top 5.


While you ponder the wisdom of my decision, I'll leave you with a little sample from Vampire Weekend's latest album.




No comments:

Post a Comment